Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Not your average angel

My son got a neighbor right before Thanksgiving. He doesn't look like the other neighbors, in fact if you were to see him he has the look of a homeless person. He wears the big trench coat, doesn't look so clean, but he has job and he rides a bike to work everyday. My son, who can be quite judgmental about these things hated that he lived next door. He doesn't mind asking for a ride some times and for a cigarette. J hid from him for weeks, he would bang on the door at all times during the night, he made noise in his apartment all night. J, dealing with his own problems couldn't deal with this too well but one day he came face to face with him. He shared his smokes with him, gave him food (all of which I've been buying, thank you very much!) He gave him rides to the grocery store, and I was quiet. I wanted to say...."I can hardly support YOU, much less your neighbor too!" but something kept me quiet. I couldn't figure this friendship out, and I really didn't know what to think.
Like I said earlier in my other post sometimes I believe things happen, people are put into our lives for a reason. I think this is the case with this person. Last week , the neighbor broke his foot. Guess what, he still manages somehow to ride his bike to work, everyday. My son, who his whole life has had some sort of entitlement issue saw this and I mean really SAW it. It hit a chord with him. He called me and told me this. And then he started telling me some other little bits of wisdom this man had been giving him. Words of wisdom that somehow have actually gotten J's attention. Now is that not a riot?? And now J is employed, finally because this guy told him they were hiring at his job. How about that? SO, I guess if this guy is a planted angel, I don't mind him bumming cigarettes (I never knew angels smoked!) or some food every now and then, if he can teach my son some life lessons that I've never been able to make him see.
So thank you whoever you are. Any help we can get is appreciated and yep! You'll have a ride to work every morning if J can pull this job off and if you want it, but something tells me you won't be around that much longer. We shall see.

No comments: