Saturday, June 03, 2006

The customer is always RIGHT! Even when they're Wrong!

If you work in the retail world then you know what I mean when I say that there are days I go home and literally feel like I've been run over by a truck or beat up by ten people. Some days it takes all I've got to smile and be nice to people that are obviously out to make my day a living hell! Believe me, not everyone is like this, most people in fact are not. But those few that are seem to all come into the store on the same day or at least the same week.
Highlights of my day yesterday were dealing with a customer who swore her glasses had an odor. (She couldn't possibly wear them because they smelled so bad they made her sick to her stomach. Ummm, alrighty then) and a woman that insisted her glasses were not straight on her face no matter what I did to correct a problem that I didn't see. In both cases I finally just gave the customers a new frame and off they went. I've been doing this a long time so I know once somebody gets something in their heads, it's there, no matter what I say.
Sometimes people come in right after they've had a fight with their spouses or kids or somebody and take it out on us. Usually there is no pleasing these people and you just have to take their abuse and try not to take it personally. I know this is the case sometimes because we've actually had people call us back and appologize, saying they were upset about something else when they came to our store.
After a few angry or trying customers there usually comes in a really nice person that makes you forget the others and that is what happened yesterday. A satisfied customer who came in and wanted to let me know how pleased he was and how much he loved his glasses. That made it all worth while. Much is said about rude sales people but nobody realizes what most of us have to go through. My mother used to say that everyone should have to work retail at least once in their lives and then things might be different.
If you feel like you are getting bad service, of course let it be known but please let it be known if you got great customer service. It really helps us get through the day!
Happy shopping!

No comments: