Tuesday, December 11, 2007

An Odd Experience

Sort of an odd thing happened Saturday night when I was spending some time with my best friend's daughter, Robbin. I can't seem to get it out of my head, and of course it could have been just coincidence but things like this always make me wonder.
To explain why it affected me the way it did I first have to tell you about my Grandmother whom I called Granny Jo. She died over twenty years ago and she was very very special to me. I didn't really get to know her well until I was 15 and from that time on I spend a good deal of time with her. Back in the seventies, you may remember a song by Jesse Colter called, "I'm not Lisa". It was sort of a mournful ballad and once you heard it, it was hard to get it out of your brain. My grandmother was not a singer in anyway and I don't even remember her listening to much music at all and so when this happened it stuck in my mind. She and I were in the car going somewhere and she started singing this song. It cracked me up because I'd never heard her do that and so I kidded her about it a lot. She liked the lyrics, even found them sort of funny. And so this is just one of those things I remember in the back of my head about a short moment in our lives. And something I'd not thought about in years.


Now, that said, here's what happened Saturday night with little Robbin. She and I were shopping for a gift for her to give her mom for her birthday when she announced she was hungry. I asked what she wanted and she told me maybe a hot dog. She then proceeded to tell me that close to her daycare is a place where they have great hot dogs. I knew she was talking about the pool hall here in our little town. For years they've sold hot dogs that some people go nuts over. I told her that my Granny Jo used to work in the building next to her daycare a long time ago and she sometimes enjoyed a pool room hot dog too. She sort of giggled and then proceeded to talk about the hot dogs a little more and then out of no where she sang, "I'm not Lisa". I nearly fainted. I looked at her and I said, "Where do you know that song from?" and she just giggled and said she heard it from some of her Daddy's music.

She and I sung that song the rest of our time together that night. I didn't mention to her why I was so surprised to hear those lyrics come out of her mouth during the time we were talking about my grandmother. Coincidence? Maybe, but I prefer to think that somehow the love Robbin and I share and the love my Grandmother and I shared was a catalyst for a tiny little communication between my grandmother and myself. All because of pool hall hot dogs and a really old song. Who knows!

1 comment:

amy said...

I still can't get over this story. How crazy!!!!!