Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Whole New Experience

I had to get up this morning early. I was scheduled for a CT scan, which I've never before experienced and the first thing I had to do at 6:00 AM was to drink a big old bottle of something called Barium Sulfate, apparently this is the first part of this new experience of mine. Now this stuff is bad enough with its taste of a mixture of paint and glue, (they added some orange flavoring to try to help out but it didn't) but to make it worse is to face it at 6:00 in the morning. To make it even more awful, I had another whole bottle to drink at 7:00. UGH! I did it though, I got it all down.
The CT scan itself was not bad. It's a big round machine and they scanned my chest, my abdomen and my pelvic area. I had to wait my turn though because two emergencies came in before I could be scanned.
They do put an IV in with more of that contrast stuff in it, and when it is injected you feel sort of flushed and my ears burned. A really weird sensation.
It was over in about thirty minutes and then they burned the scan to a CD which I had to take with me to the appointment with the Oncologist.
I've been so worried about this test all week because, well because once you've have had Cancer you start to worry that it is everywhere throughout your body. I'd imagined the Dr. studying the CT scan and coming in and telling me terrible things.
The good news is everything looked great. Was that a relief! So now I have to just continue to heal and I don't have to go back for a month and then we'll talk about setting up the radiations treatments.
And on another note, I got my Stimulus Check deposited today, so thank you President Bush. Money in is always a good thing. Especially when you aren't working for the moment and only getting 60% of your usual pay.
So onward we go.
Hope your day was a good one.

2 comments:

The_Gertster said...

Thats Great!
Sounding more and more positive all the time!
=o)

Robbin said...

Hi Steph, it was good to hear something positive after not so positive things for the last few weeks. A gift really.