Sunday, April 20, 2008

Last week I took my Sunday Stroll in my mother's yard. But this morning I stayed closer to my home. I live amongst trees. I have sort of a kinship with trees that I can't explain but it started when I was a child. I grew up in a Pecan Tree Orchard on one part of the property and an Apple Orchard on the other and both places were magical to me. And the trees that grew there brought me comfort.


Today I live where Pine Trees and Cedars grow. This is the path I walked to day.




I have spoken before about my "dancing" trees and at dusk this how they look from my front window and when a breeze is blowing, they dance in unison.



Some of the trees here have special meaning like this Cedar that grows uncontrollably beside my house. It was once our family Christmas tree about 25 years ago. It was planted in a white bucket and we decorated it and then after Christmas, we planted it. Now it is a favorite nesting place for Doves. First thing in the morning when I open my door the Dove flies out of the tree and scares me to death. She thinks it is very funny.


I have trees that are no more but do make for a good place to sit and think and enjoy the cool breeze that was blowing this morning and to soak in the warm sunshine. I really need to smooth it off though, it's a wee bit uncomfortable.

And I have trees with character. This old Oak tree got struck by lightening a few times in the 30 years my parents have owned this land but somehow it survives. In fact I was gone from here for about ten years and rented my house out. The people who rented here got permission from my mother to call someone to come out and cut it down. But the Tree cutting people never showed. I am glad.



I believe trees have a story to tell us. If only we knew how to listen there's no telling what wisdom we would gain.




Happy Sunday! Don't forget to visit Aisling over at
The Quiet Country House to see what she sees on her stroll today and to add your own stroll if you'd like.





2 comments:

Marcie said...

Robbin, Your trees are wonderful. That is one thing we are lacking on our property; old trees. We've planted a few in the (almost) 12 years we've lived here, but we have to borrow our neighbors woods to walk amongst the elders. I love the photos that you shared. And, like you, I'm glad the tree cutters never showed up for the old Oak. What a shame that would have been!

Robbin said...

Hi Aisling, don't you just love those old trees? They are like beings with such wisdom. I'd love to one day see those giant Redwoods out west.