Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Just a little Book Talk


Last week I read this book and really enjoyed it. Probably because the story centered around six friends that are in my age range and because they are Southern. They've been friends since college and it's dead on how women can accept each other's faults but love each other anyway. One interesting thing too is that the book is written by Cassandra King who happens to be married to
Pat Conroy, a famous southern writer. He wrote "Cape Fear" and although I'm not a big fan of his, he has lots of fans.

I usually am a big John Grisham fan and he has a new book out. I've lost a little interest in him. This is the first one ever I've not bought right away but it's a novel about football in Italy and somehow it doesn't appeal to me. I'll probably still buy it but I'm going to read some reviews first. It's called
"Playing for Pizza."

I'm now reading "Good in Bed", and no it's not that kind of book. It's a novel written by Jennifer Weiner.

I guess the best most absorbing book I've read lately would have to be the novel by Nancy Horan called "Loving Frank". It's a novel that is based on a lot of research of the truth about Frank Lloyd Wright and his life with a woman, Mamah Borthwick Cheney. The two of them had a scandalous affair and it was during a time when women were still fighting for rights. This book was not one I could devour like I do some books. It was one I had to take the time to absorb and think about. I loved the fact that both of the main characters were brilliant humans that found themselves in a situation that was so much deeper than the people looking in could understand. I really liked it.

So now you know what I'm reading.


4 comments:

amy said...

I saw your earlier post about this book and it made me want to go get it. Sounds right up my alley! I LOVE Pat Conroy, I had no idea his wife writes, too!

Robbin said...

yep, you'll like it, but don't buy it. I'll send it with Haleigh's Halloween box that I'm trying to get mailed soon. I'll throw in a couple of others too.

amy said...

That's why you're the greatest MIL in the world! Well, maybe not the only reason. Hooray! I'm dying for a good book, haven't made it to the library in a while.

Robbin said...

aw, shucks!
I'll let you know when to watch for it.