Saturday, October 20, 2007

What a Concept!


Last week I saw on the Today Show a segment about a minister in Kansas City, Mo. that had started a campaign within his congregation for a "Complaint Free World" and I've been thinking about it ever since.

The idea was that it takes usually 21 days to form a habit of most things so he gave out purple rubber bracelets for his people to wear and they committed to trying not to complain for 21 days. If you find yourself complaining you switch the bracelet to the other arm and start over. He says the congregation was complaining about trivial things like the songs they were singing and the color of the choir robes. It was his idea that the negativity from this spread throughout and caused problems. So, when they completed 21 consecutive days of not complaining they swap their bracelets for a certificate of happiness.

Seems like his idea has spread across the world and now he's written a book and you can even order the purple bracelets for free (the people in his church are packaging them up from the church basement.) You can also buy them too if you want a bunch of them or you want them in a hurry.

Anyway, I love this idea. Negativity is like a disease and it spreads and gets bigger and bigger and I'm all for a more positive world. (my bracelet is on the way!) I'll let you know how it goes. Which mean I can't complain on my blog anymore either! Not even about Conference Calls. Umm. Well he says stating a fact about something that's wrong is not complaining and Conference calls can be BORING. And that's a fact! We'll see how this goes.

4 comments:

Melissa Murphy said...

That is a really neat idea!!

Robbin said...

Hi Mel, I know it, I love the idea!

Marcie said...

Robbin, I saw that segment also. I think I'm going to try it with a yellow "Live Strong" bracelet that I already have. That way, I can get started right away. I can go along without complaint for a few days at a time (I think!) but then I'll have a day where complains fly left and right. We'll see what happens.

Robbin said...

That's how it will go with me too, Aisling. We're compare notes when I get mine.