Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Tangerines Smell Like Christmas to me





No matter what time of the year I peel a tangerine it smells like Christmas to me. I guess people have different smells that remind them of Christmas, gingerbread baking, Christmas tree smells, whatever but it's always, ALWAYS tangerines for me. I suppose it must have a lot to do with the big box of fruit that Santa always brought me for Christmas. It was only for CHRISTMAS that I got tangerines so they were very special to me. The box was a big box covered in tin foil filled to the brim with tangerines, oranges, a few grapefruit, apples, bananas, grapes and always an exoitic fruit, like a coconut maybe or a pineapple, or mangoes, or kiwi fruit. And sprinkled throughout the box was nuts in the shell, walnuts, brazil nuts, never pecans cause we had them out in the yard. Nope, these were special things straight from Santa.
I started with the tangerines because they were my favorites! My mother enjoyed doing this so much that when I had my own kids she did this for them too, to be delivered by Santa of course, but somehow it never excited them like it did me. I guess maybe because they could have that stuff whenever they wanted throughout the year but to me.........man it was magic! In my mind's eye I can see that box in that shiny foil paper and though I didn't pay attention to it until I'd opened all the wrapped presents, I always expected it to be there and it was I think until Santa stopped coming to see me. What a shame.

No comments: