Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Ah, Ah, Choo!

That's all I seem to be able to do lately. Yesterday I made it through the work day, left a little early and sneezed and blowed my nose until it is raw but I feel a little better today, hopefully the worst is over and I'm off today instead of my usual Wednesday, so I can get over it a little more.
I caught the special on TV last night on Oprah's opening her school and I can't get those little girls out of my mind. Through such bad times, many of them, they all still found hope in life and such strength, my goodness! I'm sorry but comparing them to the spoiled little American girls here that I encounter day to day, we come up a little short. I know we want to give our kids all we can and I'm thankful we live in a country where that is possible for some people but we are getting material things all mixed up with the gifts we need to be giving. I'm pretty sure a cell phone, an ipod, jewelry and designer clothes are not going to give them strength to face life's problems.
And on that note I recently was so proud of my son. He and his wife bought a new vehicle and an option was a DVD player for the backseat which his daughter would have loved but instead he wanted her to look out the window, look at the world, she gets enough TV and DVD's at home. I liked that and agree completely. I think as parents we've gotten into the habit of doing what's easiest, maybe we're lazy but I am so afraid it's going to bite us in the behind. I know that when both parents have to work and juggle a family it is hard not to let the TV babysit and it's easy to just buy the kid what they want, but in the end what are we teaching these kids?
Oh, well. I know the problems but know not of solutions so I'll hush for now.

No comments: