Monday, February 11, 2008

My Afternoon Adventure

My son's phone is on my Verizon account and he broke his or lost it or something like that. He needed for me to call Verizon and have another phone that someone gave him activated. Sounds easy huh? Right.

At work we are used to dealing with AVR (automated voice response) systems as we deal with insurance companies. And when it works right, it is a good thing but every once in a while you get an AVR that has been drinking or who is hard of hearing or is just plain STUPID! This is the experience I had this afternoon.

AVR: Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Please tell me in a few words how I can help you today.

ME: I need to activate a phone.

AVR: You can pay your bill or check your balance, did you say you wanted to pay your bill?

ME: No....activate a phone.

AVR: I think you said you'd like to check your balance. Say yes or no if that is not correct.

ME: NO! I need to activate a phone.

AVR: I think you said you'd like to buy a phone. Say yes or no if that is not correct.

ME: NO! (a little louder) NO! I need to activate a phone.

AVR: I am sorry, I do not understand what you are requesting. Did you say you are having trouble calling out?

ME: NO! I need customer service please.

AVR: I am sorry, I did not understand your request, please hold for a customer service rep.

GReat, why couldn't I just talk to a real person to start with????

And then after several rings I get her sister who tells me that my call is important and will be answered by the next available agent.

Fifteen minutes later I got to speak with a real human being.
WOO! The 21st century, you got to love it!

2 comments:

Meg Kelso said...

LOLOLOL...that's why I speak pig latin to those fuckers.

Robbin said...

LOL, I bet that does mess them up Meg!