Saturday, February 09, 2008

My daughter "Carrie"

When I was pregnant with my 2nd child, nobody could convince me that she wasn't going to be a she. This was back then we never got to know what gender we were carrying.

I already had a two year old son and in my mind, it only made sense that the universe and God would grant me what I figured would be the perfect family. One perfect little boy child and two and a half years later a perfect little girl.

I had decided years before that when I had a little girl her name would be Starla. I loved that name and it was just understood that this baby I was carrying was my daughter, Starla. The week before the due date I was reading a novel and the main character was a girl named Carrie.(And NO, not Stephen King's novel Carrie). For some reason, I fell in love with that name. This was in the 70's and it seemed such a simple name. It didn't even have a cute spelling like Kari, or Kerrie. Nope, I liked it just as it was in the novel, Carrie. The more I thought about it the more I knew that my daughter would be named Carrie.

Well, as it turned out, my daughter turned out to be a son. Don't get me wrong, I was not dissapointed, just very surprised as I had no doubt he would be a she. Turns out the universe and God knew exactly what they were doing and Matthew has been such a blessing to me and I can't imagine my life without him.

The thing is, I never got over the name Carrie. Today I had a young woman customer named Carrie and I remembered how special that name was to me. I don't know why but even though Carrie was never born to me, there's a special place in my heart for a child that never was named Carrie.

And........it was probably a good thing Matthew wasn't a girl......................bless her/his heart!!!


He might have had a much harder life as a girl. Silly BOY! He brings to me JOY today in the fact that he loves life so much and is such an awesome person and has always been such a good son!

2 comments:

amy said...

I cannot believe you put that picture on your blog for the whole world to see! I guess not everyone can "look just like their favorite popstar, Hannah Montana!" just by wearing that wig. :-) Kind of scary to think about any future children of ours, huh?

Robbin said...

LOL, yeah a little scary for sure. He is so funny looking I couldn't resist. I didn't plan to use that picture with this post but then I remembered it and I just had to use it. (Sorry Matthew)