Thursday, March 06, 2008

BLUE BOY




Isn't it funny the things that stick in your memory from childhood?

My grandmother always had a picture hanging in her house that always intrigued me. As a child I would look at it and study it and try and imagine who this boy was and what toys he had and I always thought he looked so nice, like someone I'd like to be friends with. I also thought he looked very rich. Although from another time in history I tried to imagine what his everyday life must have been like.

My grandmother told me it was a copy of a famous painting called Blue Boy. I looked it up in the World book and read about the artist. It was the closest I came to be exposed to true art as a child.

When my grandmother died, I asked for the picture which was only an inexpensively framed dime store version and only a 5x7 picture. I'm sure it would have just ended in the trash but it was important for me to have him. I needed him. And I still have him somewhere packed away.

Of course with the Internet I've learned other things about him, Cole Porter even wrote a song about him. He's even appeared in movies. HE is now hanging in Huntington Library in San Marino California.

I'd like to one day see the real painting. Putting this dream in my Cedar Chest for now.

2 comments:

Chellie said...

When this picture first popped up, I had an instant memory that I began reliving in my head. I had no idea what your post was going to be about and I couldn't believe it was about "memories that stick in your head"!!!

this was a large picture that hung in my pediatrician's office. I only saw it when i was running a 102 fever and feeling terrible as a child.

I never liked it, but who would like anything associated with feeling rotten in childhood? I don't think I've seen that anywhere in many, many years. MEMORIES/ASSOCIATIONS!

Robbin said...

Too funny Chellie. My memory relates to my Grandmother and is a good one, yours not so good. It is interesting how we work as humans. Smells do the same, ever notice that?