Sunday, March 02, 2008

The World of "Green" Shoes







For some reason I've become interested in shoes made with all natural and recycled materials. For example this shoe's out sole used to be a car tire.




This shoe is vegan and veggie friendly. Hemp uppers, lined in bamboo, coconut button. Cements used are all water based.


The lining of these are made from recycled soda bottles, the out sole from tires too. (soda bottles?? How'd they do that?)These are actually made from recycled T shirts and Jeans and of course recycled soles. They are from a British company called "Worn Again". The uppers are made of leather, but from the left over leather shavings and trimming from tanneries which would normally go to the landfill! I think that is genius!



You know recycling is nothing new to my family. I come from a family that was very poor during the depression and for quite a few years afterwards and my Grandmother always recycled, not so much for the environment but for financial reasons. My mother and her sisters wore Flour Sack dresses, quilts were made of old clothes, canning jars doubled as drinking glasses. And when shoe soles wore out, they lined them with cardboard. Nothing was thrown away, everything had a use. My grandmother use to tell me when they killed a hog they found a use for every single part but the "squeal".

We could learn a lot from that generation, we should listen to them before its too late and they are all gone.

2 comments:

Marcie said...

Robbin, Love all the shoes. I've never thought about shoes made from recycled materials. Cool idea!

I totally agree that we could learn so much from the older generations!

hugs,
Aisling

Robbin said...

Hi Aisling, so good to see you over here. I know, is that not too cool about the shoes?