Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Tuesday Morning Ramblings

With this being the first really normal week after the holidays as far as work goes, our conference call was rather interesting this morning. With our meeting in Atlanta and then the holidays we've not had one for three or maybe even four weeks. So we had a lot of pent up comments I guess and it was quite lively. Sometimes we do have a lot to share and discuss and funny thing is on these occasions our leader, our district manager kind of gets lost in it all. That is what happened today. Although of course she knows the operations of things, she no longer actually works in a store and is lost to some of what we discuss. That frustrates her a little I think but she understands and she just lets us go to a certain amount of time but then she has to gain control again and we go back to listening to numbers and goals and that sort of thing.

I work late tonight so I don't go in until noon thirty.

And I have a thought on my "Complaint Free World" bracelet. Although I know I am ultimately responsible for what I say and think, the challenge here lies in being around other people who are not on this campaign with me. I have to dodge agreeing with complaints that come from others, and that is hard. Sometimes I think I agree with complaining people to be nice. Does that make since? For example, a customer says "This weather is terrible, cold last week, hot this week." and I smile and say, "I know it." ok, I just complained too. I guess I should learn to say something like "Oh yes but isn't it wonderful that the sun is shining?"

What sounds like a simple thing to do is simple when you are alone, or at least it is for me but we seem to feed each other with complaints and negativity. I wonder how that happened and when that happened and maybe it has always been that way? And so this is the whole concept of the bracelet I know, but it dawned on me that complaining spreads like wildfire and I've got to learn it stops HERE, with me. I refuse to let other people's complaints become my own. If I have to swap my bracelet from one arm to the other, it is at least going to be from my own complaints!

And a pleasant bonus this morning already. A reader commented on my finding JOY every day blogging and it so brought me JOY today already. She told me I was spreading JOY by doing this, and that makes me happier than anyone can know.
Thank you so much Teri for taking the time to say that.

Ok, off to have a good day, I hope the same for you.

No comments: