Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Sad Story of the Sentimental Can of Spam


My son is sharing my home with me again. Due to circumstances in his life he is taking the opportunity to try and get his life together. I've lived alone for close to ten years. Not only did my son join me but he brought along a little black puppy named Molly.
To tell this sad tale I must explain why I had a certain can of Spam in my food cabinet. About eight years ago I was having some really serious money problems and a dear friend of mine helped me out a bunch. One day after things were much better for me, he sent me this can of Spam and told me to keep it so that if I ever found myself in such a mess I'd always have that can of Spam to eat. It was a joke of course but by keeping that can of Spam it reminded me that I never ever wanted to be in the situation I was in again.
And so that said, it sat in my cabinet. New food came and went but this can of Spam sat there.
Now, yesterday I was about to buy groceries so I called my son to ask if he wanted anything special. He said, "Well, the puppy is out of food, if you could pick up a bag."
"Oh sure, no problem."
"There was a can of Spam in the cabinet and I gave it to her this morning."
I nearly dropped the phone.
"YOU opened that can of Spam?"
"Yeah, was that bad?"
"Well, for one it is pretty old, I'm surprised it was still good and two, it sort of meant something to me."
"Mama! You're the only person I know who'd keep a can of Spam for sentimental reasons!"
I explained to him why I had. Of course he felt bad but I couldn't be mad. How'd he know? And at least the sentimental Spam went for a good cause. And it proves that Spam does last forever.
So long Spam, oh buddy, oh pal. And that is the story of the Sentimental Can of Spam.

No comments: