Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Thinking of Bonnie


I get an email everyday that tells me what happened in history on that date and today is the day in 1934 that Bonnie and Clyde were killed by Texas and Louisiana State police. They were shot to death while driving a stolen car. They'd been on the run for three months at this time and were finally traced to Louisiana.
This got me to thinking of Bonnie. She was only 23 when she was killed, and I wondered how she got caught up in her life of crime and was she so in love with Clyde that she didn't care where it lead? So...I had to research.
She was a tiny little thing, 4'11 and 90 lbs. Bonnie was an honor roll student in high school and made introductory speeches for local politicians when they came to town and she even won awards for creative writing. In fact she even wrote a poem called "The Story of Bonnie and Clyde".
Bonnie got married at 15 to a fellow named Roy Thornton and while he was serving time in prison, she got a job as a waitress and that's when she met Clyde. He was soon imprisoned and she visited him everyday and when he got out, that's when her life began with him.
There's lots of controversy about whether she was a hardened criminal and if she had even ever fired a gun, but by association she was as guilty as Clyde and if you read her poem she was perfectly aware of how things would end.
I've tried to imagine her life. She's 15 and married and her husband is in prison. She's never known anything but poverty. Life looks pretty bleak I suppose. Then she meets Clyde. I couldn't really find anything that explained why she was so obsessed with him, but she was evidently. And that being said, I'd say she chose this life knowing exactly what she was getting into. And I guess if all you've known is poverty and you don't see any relief in life, no way to climb out of that, maybe at the tender age of 16 you'd decide to take whatever excitment you can latch on to. So, that's what she did. I bet she didn't know just how well known she'd be in death. Or maybe she did. For whatever reasons her choice was, I'm remembering Bonnie today. I hope she's resting in peace.

No comments: