Tuesday, May 22, 2007

What's so Funny???

Tonight five little girls came into the store. They were around 10 or 11 in age, they all wore glasses and they all wanted them cleaned and adjusted. As I worked on their glasses one by one, I watched them try on frames. They started off trying on some that they would have actually worn but then one of them picked the biggest, ugliest plastic man's frame she could find and modeled it for the others. The giggles exploded and I couldn't help but laugh as each one of them chose ugly glasses to try on. The sound of their giggles reminded me of a time when I was about that age. My best friend, at that time, and I could giggle up a storm.
Sometimes I'd babysit for the people across the street and the man of that family was about forty at the time. His family consisted of all sons and the sound of us giggling tickled him to death. He'd say, "I'll give you both a dollar if you can go five minutes without giggling." Of course we couldn't. All we'd have to do if to look at each other and we burst into waves of giggles. We never got that dollar he offered us every time he saw us together but I think he'd have been really disappointed if we could have controlled those giggles.
Somewhere along the line I think I lost the art of good giggling. That's a shame too. You see, a giggle is different from a laugh. You giggle at things that aren't even all that funny, you giggle when you are a little nervous and don't know what to say and you giggle with someone who knows the difference in giggles and laughter and giggles are very contagious. And only little girls can do it with real justice. I miss those days of giggling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That brought back a lot of memories about my best friend and I giggling at the silliest things.
When my son was younger, we brought a friend of his to church with us. The pastor unexpectedly started to sing a song in a real booming voice. Needless to say, my son's friend got the giggles and gave them to me!! I was so embarrassed!!