Monday, September 15, 2008

Bumpity Bump


I hit a bump. On Wednesday I went for my treatment, very encouraged over my PET scan results (still am) and what should happen but the port that I have was blocked with a blood clot. SO, I got my treatment anyway through an IV in my arm, but the bad news was I was put in the hospital to get my blood thin. My surgeon who put the port in says it is not unusual for it to happen but because the way to get rid of a blood clot is to thin the blood, that has to be monitored in the hospital. You can imagine how well I took that. I got so upset about having to go to the hospital that I sat there and cried and they gave me something to calm me down. At first they told me a few days but it ended up being from Wednesday to Sunday. I did however get both my chemos so that is a good thing.
Also while in the hospital and back on the steroids my blood sugar went nuts and I am now on insulin. Scary to me but I am handling it ok. The silver lining of course is I have such good care providers is that they catch these things and we can fix them and go on. But now I will be on a blood thinner throughout the rest of my treatments and the Diabetes will stick until after the treatments too. But they assure me these are only temporary.
I have truly not felt bad during all of this. I have no energy but that is nothing different and the blood sugar thing makes me feel weird, but not bad. And even so far (knocking on wood) this treatment that was always said to be my most difficult has not made me feel too bad yet. And usually by the third day I am feeling kind of rough but it is the forth day this morning and so far so good. I do have to go get that super dooper white cell building shot today and it makes me ache so we'll see.
I know it sounds like a lot and that I am falling apart but as long as I know we are making progress I am still feeling good about it, it gives me a boost and I feel like we are on top of everything, even if I do have to deal with three different doctors to take care of everything. Every one has his or her jobs and that is what they are interested in.
I have read everyone of your comments and thank you so much for your encouragement and for checking on me. I'm sorry I had to leave you all hanging there for a while but I am ok, and I am facing this with head on as it comes and bump after bump. The only thing stressing me out at the moment is that I've had to depend on my mother so much and I'm afraid it is showing on her. She has been through so much these last few months. She's lost a grandson, her husband had major surgery and she's had to deal with me. She's tough but she is also 70 years old and I see the wear it is putting on her. I think sometimes this sort of thing is worse on the family than it is for the patient.
I am glad to be home, out of the hospital, with my little dog and around my own things. I am so thankful not to be in pain, and not to be feeling bad right now. And I'm thankful for each little blessing I can find in this journey of mine. And I am especially thankful for those of you who send me light and love and prayers from so far away. And so, I am OK.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Marcie said...

Robbin,

I'm so glad to get an update. Things have been a blur of busyness here, but I still think of you many times a day and send up that little prayer.

Hang in there!

love and hugs,
Aisling

Robbin said...

Thank you Aisling, I can understand how busy this time of year is for you and your household. I always know you are thinking of me.

Tammy Brierly said...

You are my shero! How scary but I'm glad you're feeling good on #4...WOW!

I bet sweetie is thrilled to be back with mommy!

((Happy Dance))

Mary said...

Seeing that you updated your blog was good. I knew you'd encountered some sort of bump in the road. Time in the hospital isn't exactly vacation time, but when you need to be there it isn't so bad. Your upbeat personality and can-do attitude is certainly seeing you through this rough journey. Prayers and warm thoughts for you.

Debra said...

So sorry you have had a rough go of it. Hopefully things will settle down for you soon. As my husband said to me once "sooner or later ya gonna hit pay dirt"!

Here's to hoping your road will soon be smoother!

L'Adelaide said...

ROBBIN!!!! Ijust got online and came over to hopefully see a post and there you are! I have thought of you so often these past several days and tried to visualize you well, not terribly ill, which truthfully I was afraid you were...well, you are but you know what I mean...so glad you had the care you needed! I am sorry to hear of it all but it's temporary so just think how good you are going to feel when this is over and it almost is!

many big hugs and hula hoops!

Robbin said...

Thanks everybody. We're just in the thick of things right now and I'm doing ok and handling it as it comes. As always your words give me a boost.

Memaw's memories said...

I know you are counting the days until you are finished with treatments and get the thumbs up from the doctors about your prognosis.

Sorry you had to spend some time in the hospital. Not a fun place to be, but then I guess you don't go there for fun anyway.

Glad you are out and are feeling good. I think you have done amazingly well through all of this. You are such a strong person. Hugs and prayers always.

Marge said...

If thoughts and wishes and prayers would make you well, you would be 100%! Glad to see your post, but unhappy at the content. However, I'm glad they admitted you to give you extra drugs and treatment. I hope you got some rest and strength and that you are ready for the next round.

All I can do is uphold you in thoughts and prayers and tell you to hang in there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and you should be seeing it soon.

Hugs and prayers.

Robbin said...

Thanks Memaw and Marge. I've had a really good day today.