Monday, September 08, 2008

Too Sweet for my Own Good


After a trip to my regular Dr, I was given some medicine to lower this blood sugar of mine. My Oncologist called and talked to me, he says, "I hear you are just too sweet for a PET scan." Not so funny to me, but he had sent me for a blood test that tells them I've not been diabetic long, so it tells them that it is indeed Steroid induced. All he really cares about it getting my sugar down low enough for the PET scan he wants. I'm worried about what kind of damage these high levels are doing to other organs.

So, my own Dr. is my advocate for that too and she prescribed medicine that at first I thought was doing nothing. I had to buy a meter to check it and at first the levels were sky high but finally yesterday the drug seems to be working and yesterday my levels were much lower and this morning even lower. Which is a good thing since I have another PET scan scheduled for first thing in the morning. Also it is my treatment week, so I guess I'll have Chemo tomorrow and Wednesday as usual. This depending I think on if I get the PET scan. What a mess!

But I feel better that my Dr. is helping me monitor the diabetes and she says probably after the treatments,and the steroids are out of my system it will go away.
I usually have a good last week before starting the chemo but the diabetes took that away from me last week. Just my luck!

Just a bump in the road, bumps are to be expected. Through it all, I've tried to find humor in it, I've tried to keep my spirits up, and all I can do is just shake my head and think what next?

And so I go on, stomping forward in my combat boots. And as much as I dread this next treatment, another part of me knows that it will just get me closer to the end of this.

4 comments:

Marge said...

Praying for those bumps in the road to smoothe out and become a super highway so you can just sail on through the rest of your treatments. I hate those bumps, don't you?

I'm just back from my little roadtrip and just read your post about being mad at cancer etc. My dear friend, you have every right in the world to be angry! In fact, maybe you should just throw a big fit, lay on the floor, kick, scream, holler, throw things, etc, and get that anger out. I'd sure be doing that! No one would blame you a bit if you did!

And I'll just be here, thinking of you and praying for you. You will beat this thing! But in the meantime, get mad if you have to.

Lovin' ya,
Marge

Tammy Brierly said...

I have my pom pom's at the ready, you sweet thang, you!

XXOO

Robbin said...

Hi Marge, your words always comfort me, and thanks for coming by. I saw all the beautiful places you went, I know you had a good time. Lovin you back! Hope your week is a good one.

Robbin said...

Ok, Tammy, get ready to use'em. So good to talk to you today. Love ya!