Monday, January 22, 2007

I'm in need of a good read

For whatever reason, I can't seem to find a good, catch my attention, stay up late into the night, oh my god, good book. I sort of got into the Odd Thomas novels by Dean Koontz. I really like the first one it was named Odd Thomas. I got the next one, called Forever Thomas and it wasn't nearly as good so I haven't bought the new one called Brother Thomas. Dean Koontz has never been a favorite of mine, he's a little too out there for me, but I liked Odd Thomas better than any of his other books.
My favorite book I guess of all time was The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck. I read it as a child when my mother used to get those Reader's Digest condensed things, if anyone remembers that and then again as an adult. That was a good, absorbing book. I love Amy Tan too but I'm all caught up with what she's written. Guess you could say I like to read about Oriental culture. Not sure what's up with that.
I recently read "Sam's Letters to Jennifer" by James Patterson which was a sweet little book but not one to sink your teeth in, not one that you become so attached to the characters that you miss them for weeks after the book is done.
Could be just me. The best sellers these days don't seem to appeal to me. A reader all my life I've never reached this point before.
Though I have been known to get stuck on an author and read book after book by him or her, I love to read 1st novels. They are usually the best. Seems like if they become well known the books get worse and worse. I love Dorothea Benton Frank but I'm all caught up with her books, but I see she has a new one coming up in April.
So.....I'm stuck here. Maybe something will come along and catch my attention, until then I'm reading now a book by LuAnne Rice that is boring me to tears, and I used to really like her. Go figure.

5 comments:

Nicholas Borelli said...

You can try my e-book but I'm not sure you would like it. It's rather raw and might offend you--language, violence, etc. Since I stumbled onto your blog and you're hunting for a read, I thought I'd mention it.

www.nicholasborelli.com

Barb said...

I thought the Odd Thomas books went downhill from the first one. I loved the first one! I recently finished Brother Odd and was very disappointed.

The Good Earth is a great book. Have you read The Grapes Of Wrath? The Three Musketeers?

Anne Rivers Siddons writes good ones if you like her genre.

There's a really good older one called The Handmaiden's Tale which you will not be able to put down.. but some find it disturbing.

Mystic River was very good, too!

Sorry.. I love books and could go on and on :)

Robbin said...

Thanks Nicholas, I did go to your site and read the first chapter, sounds very interesting. Out of curosity I might just have to finish it, we'll see. Thanks for the warning, nothing much offends me at this point in my life.

Thanks Skittles, that's ok, I love books too, I've read all you mentioned except the Handmaiden's Tale which I think I'll find. Sounds interesting to me.

Kelly said...

Robbin, thanks for your nice words!

I just finished "Good in Bed" by Jennifer Weiner (she wrote "In her shoes") and it was pretty good.

Robbin said...

Thanks Kelly, I saw the movie In her Shoes but have never read any of her book, think I'll order it, sounds good to me.