Thursday, January 25, 2007

My Calorie Budget


Ok, time to update my eating experiment. I forgot to do it last week I think. So far I've managed to stay within my calorie budget that I've allowed myself, still haven't gotten on the scales but can tell in my clothes that a few pounds are gone. Still haven't started my morning walking routine back but will soon. Ok, I admit it, I'm waiting for the mornings to be warmer. That won't be too much longer. Mornings work better for me as far as walking and so that's what I'll do.
As you grow older you should always continue to taste things that maybe you don't think you like. One example for me is cantaloupe. I grew up loving watermelon but YUK on cantaloupe. A few years ago I tried it again and now it's one of my favorite melons. Another thing is Avocado. Yeah, I know they are high in fat and calories but actually very good for you and a little goes a long way. I like them in salads or my favorite is to mash them up and have them with tomato on a sandwich.
The hardest thing is to remember those darn serving sizes. It's hard and on those days when all I want to do is munch and munch, I have to be careful and THINK about what I'm popping in my mouth, at least how much I'm popping. Those calories count up fast even if you are eating something good for you. I had a few days like that last week but I didn't do too badly.
An example of that is nuts. Yep, they are good for you and they are a good thing to add to your diet but I can't snack on them. I eat too many so I put a few in my salads or walnuts in my oatmeal, that sort of thing.
Trying to only eat things with ingredients in them that I can pronounce isn't always easy when you need something fast but it can be done. Just have to plan out your eating menus and maybe cook one day a week for the whole week to come. I'm still working on that one.
And last but not least, when I get home from work, if I have a cup of hot tea, green tea or any kind, it seems to curb my appetite and I don't won't so much for supper. Sometimes I may add apple slices or a cheese stick (low-fat).
And there you have it. So far so good.

No comments: