Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Overheard in the Grocery Store

While buying groceries tonight I overheard a little boy about 10 very desperately begging, "Can we cook them the old fashion way Dad, can we? Can we? Please!"

I was studying the chicken breast but I just had to look up and saw that the father was trying to decide what pack of wieners to buy.

The father seemed to ignore the boy but he kept on and on. I was trying to figure out if the "old fashion way" was to boil the wieners instead of microwaving but then he said, "Please Dad, can we cook them the old fashioned way, on a stick?"

I was almost as disappointed as the boy when his father finally answered him with a stern and you'd better not ask again "No, not this time."

I do so love a wiener roast! Except down here we say "weeney" roast.

3 comments:

Catherine Mary said...

Robbin, I love how you relate everyday happenings and heartfelt stories (August 1 post). Your writing makes me look at everyday people and events a little closer. And I agree, when the moon is full people do act "differently." The first part of this week was c-r-a-z-y at work.

Robbin said...

Thank you Catherine Mary, and thank you for stopping by. It is so true, the moon somehow controls us and some of us not in a nice way, lol!

Linda said...

That made me sad too. Back home we also called them weeney roasts. Our extended family (mom & dad, aunts, uncles and cousins always got together at the lake for weeney roasts. It brings back some of my fondest memories of growing up.