Thursday, June 28, 2007

It Was a Hot and Steamy Day....

..and much like this year, the farmer's crops were burning up in the ground. I was twenty years old, barely. I was also expecting my first child. The due date was a few weeks away. The night before I'd started having a few twinges in my lower side but I was pretty sure I wasn't in labor. My husband however was nervous and insisted on taking me to my Mama's house where we spent the night.

I didn't sleep much that night but the twinges never got too much worse. Finally about noon the next day we called the Dr.'s office and went in to see him. He sent me to the hospital and in a little over three hours at 3:10 in the afternoon of a day where you could see steam coming from the highway, I held a beautiful little baby.

My labor was mild, the birth easy, and he quietly came into the world. That was the last quite thing that child ever did in his life.

I can't believe he is 30 today. I can't believe I can still remember the day so vividly. And just as I did 30 years ago I wish for his life to be a good one. He's still working on it and I'm still hoping it.

This first son of mine has taught me many lessons in this life. And as he searches for some peace within himself and happiness, I'll always be right there with him, no matter how hard it gets or exhausting. He is my firstborn and I'll never give up on him. He is handsome, artistic, sensitive, and strong. He fights battles that most of us don't have to within himself. But I have faith that this new decade will bring him some relief. It's my birthday wish for him.

Happy Birthday, my son. I love you with all my heart.

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I love to hear moms talk about their children. As I read this about your son's birth and your thoughts about the man he has become, I had an "all's right with the world" moment.

Robbin said...

Hi Aisling, thanks for your comment. This mother child connection is something else as you know. I know you are enjoying your daughter's homecoming. Stop by again.