Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Race

My calmness from a few days ago seems to have gone away. This morning my mind is jumping from one place to another and I can't seem to concentrate on anything long enough to have a complete thought.

Even though today is my day off, I woke up very early and couldn't go back to sleep my mind racing with thoughts. So I got up and made coffee and popped some toast in the toaster oven and got interested for a little while in the recommended "Summer Reads" on the NPR website. I read a few excerpts from a few books they are highlighting but nothing I read seemed to really register. I scanned them mostly, wanting to read them faster than I actually could, which is sort of the way my mind is going this morning. My mind is racing way ahead of my body.

I have no way of controlling this mind of mine. It roams and wanders looking for a place to settle that makes some sense but like a hummingbird it never lands anyplace. And when I'm like this, I never quite know what to do with myself. If I had to work, my mind would take on "work" thoughts and I'd be ok. But when I'm like this on my day off, it is strange.

So, there is plenty of "work" to do around here and that is what I will do. Just mindless chores, scrubbing the sink, sweeping, dusting. Anything that requires more concentration than that I'm afraid will not happen today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. I think that's why I suffer from insomnia; just can't turn the mind off.

I hope the feeling of calmness returns to you.