Friday, June 22, 2007

So Different are We

I guess posting my previous posts this morning about my dreams got me to thinking of my mother and how so different the two of us are. It's been a mystery to me for a long time and a subject I've spent a lot of time thinking about.

I guess probably it all stems from the fact that I'm a dreamer and she's a realist.
Which isn't to say she doesn't have dreams. Her dreams and mine are just quite different. She calls her dreams goals. And she would tell you that she has accomplished many of her goals. And that is true,but I wonder, did she ever accomplish any of her DREAMS?

IT is true, I dream a lot of things that cost money but all of her "goals" seem to be materialistic. She has worked really hard in her lifetime to obtain the things she has wanted and for that she has the right to be proud. Her "materialistic" dreams were always "realistic" and there lies the difference in us.

I dream of far away places, she dreams of the new travel home to get to not so far away places.

I dream of riding a Hippo, she dreams of a driving a brand new car.

I dream of a little cabin in the woods, she dreams of a new carport for her new car.

I dream of going rock hounding and finding a tiny rare gemstone, she dreams of a bigger diamond ring.

I dream of writing words that have never been written before, so profound and simple that readers will shake their heads in awe, she dreams of buying the next novel by her favorite author.

I dream of world peace, fair wages, living "green", she dreams of finding ground chuck on sale, good produce,& not having to wait in line at the grocery store.

I believe in magic, she believes in U.S. savings bonds.

Get the picture here? Everyone of her dreams are obtainable. Mine, well.....not so much. And that's ok, she is who she is and I am who I am. We both have our priorties and everyone knows I'm a little "different" anyway.

Dreaming is enough for me. It brings me pleasure. Dreaming alone is not enough for her. She has to achieve! SO, her dreams have to be realistic you see. But to me that would be like putting a harness around my thoughts. I have never been able to do that, nor will I ever do that. Who knows, if you dream something really out there, it might just come true. (I speak from experience here.)

Like I've said, my mother has worked so hard her whole life and deserves every single thing she has and more. But you know what? It was my mother who told me when I was six years old you could sprinkle salt on a birds tail and catch him. It was also my mother who told me you could wish upon a star. It was my mother who encouraged me to read every book I could get my hands on to learn all I could about these places I now dream of.

Somewhere along the way she stopped believing all that and her dreams became "things" and my dreams, well let's just say I still wish upon stars.

I've accepted long ago that she and I are so very different. And long, long, ago I stopped sharing my dreams with her. But every time she gets something new, every time one of her goals are achieved I'm right there to admire whatever it is. But I hope in her heart of hearts there lies a real DREAM. A dream she doesn't think would even be possible and I hope before her life is over that dream comes true and that it won't cost money because you see, a real dream can't be bought with any amount of currency. It is quite priceless.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I guess I'm a mixture of the two. I do set attainable goals for myself and it makes me satisfied when I achieve them.
I also have dreams that may or may not come true, but I love them as well.

Robbin said...

And that's the balance that I strive for. Seems like things in my life always tilt too much in one way or the other.

Marcie said...

Robbin, I have an entire notebook filled with quotations about dreams. Goals and acheivements are impressive for valid reasons. But they don't have the allure and mystery and wonder of a dream. I love that you dream of riding a Hippo!

Robbin said...

LOL, wouldn't that be fun? Thanks for your response Aisling.