Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Sometimes the Soul Needs Washing


There are times when you are smoothly sailing through life but deep in your self conscious, you've buried something and you make an effort not to think of it often and not to show the pain to the world. You try to pretend that it doesn't really bother you but it does in fact stay with you no matter what else is going right.

And then one day, just like that, for whatever reason, you start thinking about it. It's usually when you are alone. For me it's usually when I am driving home from work. Sometimes it's just because I'm tired and I let my thoughts wander. Maybe I just need a good cry. And it is worthy of tears, this nagging thing that bothers you, no matter how much you try to pretend it doesn't.

After the tears come and washes out your soul, you tuck it back in your mind and in your heart because this isn't the sort of thing you can really change. It usually isn't something you really want to share with anyone, in fact it may be too hard to put into words even if you did want to share it. And that's just as it should be because most of us do carry a private pain that belongs to us alone. And that's ok. It's part of being alive and being able to "feel". It's part of being human.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I think we all carry these burdens around with us. For myself, I find that prayer helps.

Robbin said...

Hi Linda,
Yes, this is a time when prayer and meditation does help to except and understand how to cope. Good to see you this morning.

Marcie said...

Robbin, I have that hidden pain also. As you say, probably we all do. I like your thought that it's part of being alive and being able to feel. I'm not sure I'm up to accepting my own that gracefully, but it's something to think about.

Robbin said...

It comes with age, dear aisling,(maybe part of my 50 year wisdom). (smile)