Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My Chinese Sister

I'm an only child. When I was about six I wanted a sister so badly. I used to pray every night for a little sister. I wished on every star in the sky for a little sister. I begged my mother to go to the Baptist Children's home so we could bring one home. And then I heard someone say that if you started digging a hole and kept digging and digging you could dig all the way down to China. In my mind, if I could dig deep enough it would be possible that a little Chinese girl would pop out and I'd keep her for my very own. You can probably guess how that turned out.
In a lot a ways I'm still digging. Maybe not for a little Chinese Sister but for something. And in doing so, I'm wasting time. I have a dream that I've dared never dreamed because I've known it was never really a reality. Sort of just like the sister that I knew deep down I'd never have. They say if you can dream it, it can happen, but you know what? They (whoever the heck they are) are wrong. Some dreams aren't meant to come true. Some dreams aren't dreams at all, but things you just aren't meant to have.

No comments: