Friday, June 01, 2007

Sometimes There is Just No Answer

How do you know what to feel when you don't know what you're suppose to feel? How can you come up with feelings about someone as important as a parent in your life when they opted out years ago? When something bad happens to this person, what do you feel?

And while I'm thinking about this, how the heck does one opt out on parenting in the first place?

I've spent a lifetime trying to figure out why people do what they do. I've made excuses for them and tried to understand how circumstances could cause a person to do something that is just NOT acceptable.

Sooner or later you have to admit to yourself that there is just no answer. You can't explain why we humans do what we do.

But to the other parent of my children, all I can say is YOU sure missed out on a lot of things, but mostly you'll never know the love that you walked away from and for that I am sad for you. Now you are 50 years old, and hurt badly in an accident and all alone. I wonder if you even realize that or regret it or even care how your choices have impacted other people. Somehow, I doubt it. And that too is really sad.

No comments: