Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Fallish Thoughts

One good thing about working Sunday and a holiday is that if all goes well, nobody gets sick or nothing out of the ordinary happens, I get three days off this week starting today! So, I'm off for three days in a row. And I'm a little in need of that for sure.

Tomorrow morning I do have our weekly conference call and then I have to go to the dentist, but after that I'm good.

Nothing much new going on around here. But at last I can see a few hints of fall, not that it's that much cooler during the days but the nights are cooler. What I notice mostly is the light. The sunlight is softer, the rays of light are more golden. IT's coming that is for sure.

I think my love of fall began when I was a child. Fall meant that the fair was coming to town and like most kids I loved the fair. I loved the sounds and the smells and the rides. I loved the candied apples and the cotton candy and at that time the fair was the one and only place you could get those things. I was curious about the exhibits on one side of the midway that boasted freakish things never before seen. I was a little intimidated by those "fair" people that chanted and said things to get you to buy a ticket for whatever the booth was they were taking care of. That was all part of the excitement.

These days I have no desire to ever go to another fair. I'm glad I had the experience as a child and then again through my own kid's eyes. Nowadays the rides would make me sick and I couldn't handle all the sugary and greasy foods. And that's ok because I still love fall for different reasons.

These days I just love the golden light it brings and the crispness in the air. These days I am able to appreciate the season for those memories I have but also for the beautiful perfect days it brings. I appreciate all the glorious colors that burst forth and envelopes us all. Somehow the world looks a lot less intimidating in golden hues and miracles are easier to see. I don't miss that "Tilt-a-Whirl" one bit! (Ok, maybe just a little.)

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love the fall, too. It' my favorite time of the year. I love the colors; I love Halloween when the little kids come with their costumes, so excited. I love Thanksgiving. Sometimes my birthday falls on Thanksgiving!! I love good dinner with all the trimmings.

I love going to the pumpkin patch. I know you can get pumpkins much cheaper; but it is so much fun to go to the pumpkin patch where they have scarecrows and hay bundles. I love to see the excited children running among the orange pumpkin with dreams of turning it into a jack-o-lantern.

I have the same good memories of going to the County fair when I was growing up. It was so much fun!! I'm like you, I don't have the desire to go now but those memories are really nice.

Robbin said...

I love all those things too Linda. We used to go on hayrides an that was fun too!