Sunday, September 23, 2007

Remember..........

....this strange looking vegetable???











Well, here's what it looks like all cooked up!


This thing produces enough "spaghetti" to feed a small army. I'll be eating it for days, but it is really good. For this first batch I mixed it with olive oil and mushrooms and green onions, basil and garlic, topped it off with Parmesan. It was yummy.

I'm not a real pasta lover and so the fact that the texture only is like pasta, not the taste, was not a disappointment to me. Of course with tomato sauce, it could taste more like pasta. It has a fresh light taste. I liked it. But what I really liked was the preparation.

After it cooks, you take out the pulp and seeds and then with a fork you scrape and get these wonderful strands. It was good for the soul. But remember, be patient and let it cool first. It is hot and I burned my fingers! (Patience not a virtue of mine.)

So I give Spaghetti Squash a thumbs up, plus it's a lot better for the waistline than real spaghetti.

6 comments:

amy said...

Yum! I'm definitely going to try that. I think we'll do it as a side dish with garlic/olive oil, etc and some grilled chicken.

Robbin said...

yep, it would be yummy. It took a lot longer to cook than it said, if you microwave, make sure you do it until it gives in a little.

Marcie said...

I'm going to keep my eye out at the local markets for spaghetti squash. I keep meaning to plant it in my garden, but haven't done it yet. Maybe next year? lol

Robbin said...

Hi Aisling, yes, next year plant some! I think it is a veggie you could fix a lot of different ways and your family would enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Robbin that looks so tasty!

Robbin said...

Hi Kelly! It was very good. I've read about your new food adventure. That interested me greatly.