Saturday, September 22, 2007

It's Fall, Squash anyone?


Now that fall is here I have the urge to buy those little pumpkins and squash and things from the grocery store that you use for decoration. They call me and temp me but I am ignoring them.

Instead I bought a spaghetti squash that I can eat. I almost bought an acorn squash too but I am taking it one at a time here as I step outside the realm of the plain yellow squash I usually eat or the infamous Zucchini which I like as well. Anyway the Spaghetti Squash is an odd looking thing to me. It's quite a large vegetable and heavy too! The little tag on it says to micro the whole squash for a minute. And then you cut squash lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes. Then you place it cut side down in water for 12 minutes or until tender. When tender you remove the pasta-like strands out with a fork and eat them with sauce or butter or whatever!

I suppose it means you microwave it during those 12 minutes in the water. I got a little lost there but anyway, tomorrow I'm having spaghetti squash!

4 comments:

Marcie said...

I haven't had spaghetti squash since I was growing up. My mom would serve it with spaghetti sauce in the early autumn, when it was available locally. Yum!

Robbin said...

Same with me Aisling, I had it when I was a child too a few times. Thought it was time to do it again.....I'll let you know how it is.

amy said...

I've never had it, but it sounds good. Let me know how it turns out, I'm always willing to try a new squash, and we need more veggie variety!

Robbin said...

Will do Amy, I'll give a full report tomorrow!