Thursday, September 13, 2007

Little Miss Sunshine

Today I was invited to go to a presentation put on by a large group of first graders at the elementary school celebrating Grandparent's Day.

Now the thing is my granddaughter lives across the country. The little first grader that I went to see was my little namesake and my best friend's daughter.

Her own grandparents live in Illinois. Little Robbin was a little bit upset because she wouldn't have a grandparent able to come. Her Mom had a nice idea. As she explained it to her daughter, since my granddaughter lived so far away, and since her grandparents were so far away, she and I could share the moment. And so that's what we did. Since her mom works with me, she was able to relieve me at work even though she is on vacation this week so that I could go.

Confession: When I hear little kid's singing it makes me cry. I knew this but thought maybe since I am of greater age now since my own kids were first graders I wouldn't do this. And I did pretty well, that is until the very last song they sung was "You are my Sunshine." That got to me a little bit.




There were lots of Grandparents and like me Grand "friends" too. And the kids were so sweet. I was honored to be invited and enjoyed it very much.




And I think she was happy I was there too. "My Little Sunshine." Not only does she share my name but my heart as well.

3 comments:

The_Gertster said...

This should come as no surprise,,,,,but when I hear children singing, I cry too! Just another thing we have in common!

The_Gertster said...

Thank you for going! Robbin was so happy that you were there for her! Something she will always remember, I am sure!

Robbin said...

Steph, it was my pleasure. Brought back lots of memories for me.