Saturday, September 22, 2007

Ode to the Rainbow

Every time in my life that I've seen a rainbow it's made me happy but today along with that happiness a little sadness came my way.

A rainbow is a rare thing to me, not something you see everyday and although I know the scientific reason for it, sort of, to me it has always been magical. Now I'll be the first to admit, it doesn't take much for me to see "magic" in things, especially those things of nature. I can understand why some people might not find the same entertainment I find in watching ants in an ant bed or see the beauty in a spider web. Maybe the stream of the sunlight coming into a certain window doesn't amaze you or watching pine trees dance in unison when the wind blows doesn't get your attention. I can understand all that. But a RAINBOW! Come on!

Here's what happened to me today. I came out of work and there it was a beautiful rainbow and not just any rainbow, the kind that goes from one end of the world to the other, as if you could just walk under it! And then if that wasn't a gift enough, it turned into a double rainbow. A DOUBLE RAINBOW!

In the parking lot were lots of people going and coming. Some of them had kids, little kids. Not one person was standing there dumbfounded like me by the beauty of this thing. Not one parent stopped to point it out to their small children. NOT ONE!

I had only my cell phone camera and I took a few pics that didn't turn out and as I did this a few people acted as if they sort of saw it but kept going not even paying any attention to it.
I am so sad for these people. I am really sad for their children. Couldn't they take just a little time to stand and admire a rainbow, a double rainbow, with their kids?

Maybe it's just me. Maybe these people see rainbows all the time. Maybe the kids don't know the story of a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Maybe they don't teach in Sunday school, right here in the middle of the Bible Belt that it's a promise from God anymore. Maybe nobody knows that the Native Americans believed it was a gift from the Sun God. Somewhere Over the Rainbow? The Rainbow Connection? Or maybe nobody has time anymore to stop and appreciate the beauty, the perfection of this most rare occurrence!

What I'm hoping is that I was just in the middle of people who just didn't care. Somewhere I just know people stood ,as I did, in awe.

I remember this poem by William Wordsworth and he says it way better than I can! The poem begins with these words:
My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old,
Or let me die!…
I concur Mr. Wordsworth, I concur!

4 comments:

amy said...

You will be comforted to know that THIS mother always stops to admire rainbows with your grandchild, and a double rainbow is enough to pause our entire day. :-) Those folks at Wal-Mart ought to be ashamed of themselves.

Robbin said...

Well thank you very much Amy, although I wouldn't have thought ever you'd ignore a rainbow!

Marcie said...

Well, from reading my blog, you probably know that we celebrate every rainbow, great sunset, ring-around-the-moon, mist rising from the lake, fog rising from the meadow, or V of geese that flies by. lol! I wish I could have beent here with you when you saw that rainbow, so you would have had someone who understood your joy in that bit of magic in the day. hugs,

Robbin said...

LOL, I wish so too Aisling, we would have showed those people how to appreciate a rainbow. When my kids were small we'd celebrate the V of geese too. The boys would hear them coming and they'd run in and tell me and there we'd stand in awe as they formed their V and every bird turned at the same time. (I knew you'd understand!)