Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Not tough enough for this roughage!



Recently I've added Kiwi to my diet mostly because I've been able to buy really good ones lately and because they are something different from apples, bananas and strawberries.

I read somewhere a few days ago that you should be sure and eat the peeling of the Kiwi too because it offers lots of fiber. When I first read this I thought "eww", I can't eat that fuzzy ugly brown peel.

Later I thought about eating peaches when I was a kid. I always ate the "fuzzy" peel of the peach, granted it was a much prettier color. So what the heck! I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm here to report I'll be getting my extra fiber from somewhere else and as hard as it is to peel a Kiwi, I think I shall continue to do so. Enough said!


Oh, and speaking of eating fruit as a kid, this morning on a walk down my drive to the mailbox I noticed wild Muscadines growing. I used to pick these things as a child and got belly aches from eating them. I couldn't get enough! My grandmother used to make wine for medicinal purposes of course. Unfortunately this was about all there was of the crop this year which I promptly ate before the birds got them. Sorry birds, I couldn't resist!

6 comments:

amy said...

Yummy! I love those kinds of grapes. My grandaddy used to make wine from them, too . . . for medicinal purposes. :-)

Robbin said...

LOL, but of course!

Linda said...

Robbin, if you have a big crop next year and make some wine; do you think you could send me some .... for medicinal purposes of course!!

BTW, I've never tried kiwi; even the insides look yucky to me.

Robbin said...

LOL, I'll do that Linda. You should try the Kiwi, they are really good and sweet but a little tart at the same time.

Marcie said...

I love kiwi, but I'm with you: the outside is *not* for eating. *grimace*

I've been replacing egg in some of my recipes (muffins, etc.) to reduce cholesterol and my egg replacer is milled flax seed in a bit of water. That "ups" the fiber content and lowers the cholesterol, so it is a "double whammy" of healthy-goodness! :)

We have lots of wild grapes growing here, but I'm not familiar with the term muscadine. We just call them "wild grapes" but they look similar to those in your photo. lol.

Robbin said...

Hi Aisling, could be they are muscadines. Thanks for the tip on the flax seed mill, I may have to try that.