Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday Night Ramblings


People were strange today, or maybe it was me. Maybe it's that everyone was a little off axis today. Whatever, it was a strange day. Lots of movement. In this part of the country lots of people depend on government checks and today was payday.

It's also Labor Day Weekend so people have plans, going and coming and buying food for the summer's last hoo-rah.

It's also the beginning of Friday night football games at the high schools. There were cheerleaders running around excitedly through out Wal*Mart, which is our major and only store around here. And so it is a gathering place and a busy place when people here have a little money.

I, myself, having resigned to the fact that I have to work all weekend, including Labor Day, came home and promptly made a pot of coffee and am relaxing and relishing the quiet of my home.

I have also come home with two paperbacks of which I'm not sure why I bought except that the lady who was standing beside me at the store browsing the books insisted I had to read them both! Not sure why I felt the need to please her, I didn't know her from Eve but hey, she really insisted! And although they are not the kind of books I enjoy that much, I am familiar with the authors and have at times read them. And they will be entertaining, complete with a mystery that I will probably figure out before it is revealed. They are by two of those authors that I feel like churn out books really fast and just for the fact of making them and their publishers rich. At one time they probably did write books that meant something to them but I'm sure the publishers push, push, push and I think the writing suffers. Just my humble opinion you know.

At this point in my life I look for something different in my reading material. Something that makes me think and feel. I like authors who come close to saying things in a way you've never thought of. But I guess I'll just read these two for the entertainment and not worry about it. At least they aren't Harlequin Romances!(not that I don't love a good love story.) And after all, it made a little lady happy that she could recommend these books and that I actually bought them. She bragged to me that she must have over two hundred books at home.

So, that's enough rambling if you're still with me. The truth is, my body is here in Georgia but my heart is in several other places. SO there's a sad saga if I ever heard one!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Sorry that you have to work all weekend and even Labor Day.

I hope that you can relax and enjoy your books even if they aren't your cup of tea.

I started writing a book several years ago and am about two-thirds finished with it. It's a murder mystery; sort of on the order of Agatha Christie. I hope to finish it one of these days!!

Robbin said...

Linda! You are full of surprises! I loved Agatha Christie by the way. You need to finish that book.