Monday, August 13, 2007

Throwing Fish Today


If you've ever been to Seattle and visited the Pike Place Market then you've probably seen the guys at the fish market there that have a blast at work. They've become world famous and once you see them at work, you never forget them. You can read their story here if you want to. They even have published books and made videos that big companies have bought and used for seminars and such on building a better team and reaching goals.
The whole thing is attitude. If you go to work and think you're going to have a bad day chances are you do.

My morning started out rough, I was alone for the first hour and the phone rang constantly, customers lined up, everybody wanted to pick up their glasses. I'm a veteran in the retail world, I've done it more years than I care to mention and so I know I can either do my best and keep a smile on my face and keep my customers or I can frown and be rude and let the whole situation defeat me and probably loose customers in the process. And so I do what I learned a long time ago, I smile and do my best.

When the rest of my day's staff got there they followed my lead and we had the best day. We laughed with each other, at each other and with the customers. All day long, no matter how hectic it got, I could hear someone laughing and I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

Wouldn't you rather go into a store where the people are happy and jovial and actually act like they like each other rather than a store where everyone who works there looks miserable? I know I would. And I can't help but feel proud when I look around and see my staff members smiling as well as the customers. IT means we are doing something right! And it's showing in our success, little by little. We may not become "World Famous" but we can be the best we can be and that's what we strive for everyday.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I agree that attitude has everything to do with how your day goes. You should be proud of yourself for keeping an upbeat attitude and instilling it in your workers. Who knows, one day you may be world famous!! I can say I knew you back when!!

Robbin said...

LOL, well you never know. I have worked in places where things weren't so cheerful and you dread going to work everyday. It's no fun!

Catherine Mary said...

Robbin, please visit my blog for there's a Nice Matters award there for you. http://beingknowingdoing.blogspot.com/2007/08/this-rockin-girl-blogger-knows-nice.html

Robbin said...

Oh my! Ok, Catherine Mary, heading right over now.