Thursday, August 30, 2007

Learning About Poetry

For the last few Thursdays, I've so enjoyed what Aisling is doing on her site. She tells about a certain kind of poetry and then writes her example of it.

In fact she uses different forms of poetry names for herself and her family, so Aisling is poetry you see. Quite literally she is as well because she is very talented.

I've loved poetry forever but I've never studied it and my free form is all I've ever written and mostly for my own enjoyment.

I was familiar with Haiku and had been enjoying that but Aisling has opened my eyes to many others. It's a challenge to try my hand at these different types, to follow the rules and see how easily it can flow (or not).

Tonight she discusses Sijo. Pop over there and read the one she wrote. When I read about this I knew exactly what I wanted the subject of my Sijo to be.

Tuesday night when I came out of work the full moon greeted me in all it's glory. While I stood there admiring it, it slipped behind a cloud. I was so disappointed because I didn't get to see it as long as I wanted to. So with that inspiration, I dedicate this to Aisling and thank her for introducing me to a world of poetry that I didn't know existed. Here's my first attempt at writing Sijo.


Were you joking Moon, when you hid behind that dark cloud?
I had not enough time to admire you in your brilliance.
And then you peak out; smiling moonglow upon me and I laugh.


6 comments:

Catherine Mary said...

You and Aisling have a way with words. And your picture of the moon is gorgeous!

Robbin said...

Why thank you Catherine Mary. Your writing I admire as well, I love your take on things and the way you describe them.
Thanks on the picture. I didn't get one of the other night but this one was from a year or so ago and I always loved it too.

Marcie said...

It's wonderful Robbin! I especially love your phrase, "smiling moonglow upon me." I love the little life moment you share in this sijo!

Also, thank you for the dedication. I'm not an expert by any means, just a very interested student... so we are in the "same boat" together! :)

Wonderful photo too. It is a poem all by itself!

Robbin said...

Thank you Aisling. You are a more advanced student than I! Thank you so much for sharing as you learn. I'm glad you like the photo too, it seemed to fit. I'm off to work. Hope you have a good day.

amy said...

That is really beautiful! You have a knack with words.

Robbin said...

Thank you Amy, so do you!