Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Battle Continues






Although I woke up yesterday thinking I felt better than the day before, the day actually turned out to be my worse day yet in this battle. But I fought back, after all, I am a warrior and my secret weapon? SLEEP. I pretty much slept all day, and all night too. I worried as I actually was thinking I was getting a kidney infection, I've had them often, though not for a few years now and dad gum it! NOW is not the time to have one. But with no defense methods working in my body, it was trying I think to sneak in.

I finally called the Nurse yesterday late in the afternoon and she asked me a lot of questions, did I have fever? Did I have pain? Was I able to pee? I had a little twinge of pain in my lower back but not bad, my temp did go up to 99 during the night and I was drinking enough water that peeing was not a problem.

I just ached like I had the flu and I was very weak. She decided that we'd wait and see if I felt better after the antibiotic kicked in which she said would around 24 hours, and that should have been around 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon. She told me if my temp went higher than 100.4, if I stopped peeing or if the twinge of pain in my lower back got worse to call them, even in the middle of the night. In the meantime she told me just to rest.

And so I did. Boy did I. I feel like I lost a whole day. At one point I woke up around nine o'clock last night and thought, "Great, I'll be up all night now" but nope, I slept another six hours in the recliner, got up and went to bed and woke up at 7:30. And though I'm still not 100%, I feel lots better.

The sad thing is yesterday morning I put a whole chicken in the crock pot, some brown rice and mushrooms and well, it kind of cooked way too long and I now have a whole pot of gooey rice and chicken cooked all to pieces and you have to pick the bones out before you can even begin to eat it and it taste terrible.

I feel strength today that I've not felt for the last two days and maybe all that sleep helped my white cells reproduce and they are hard at work. Thank you white cells, I need you now more than ever, little soldiers that you are. I can't fight this battle without them and so when they are down my spirit has to take over and I refuse to let Cancer or Chemo destroy that!

" Sleep is the best meditation. "
Dalai Lama

12 comments:

Marge said...

Oh Robbin, I wish we lived closer so I could make you some chicken and brown rice and mushrooms. I'm glad you were able to sleep, and I agree with the Dalai Lama, sleep is the best meditation.

Praying for lots and lots of white cells, your little soldiers. I'm glad you feel better today and I'm hoping you continue to improve. Sending good thoughts and huge hugs across the miles.

Blessings,
Marge

Robbin said...

Thank you Marge, I think I can salvage some of the bigger pieces of chicken (the breast parts) and the rest I'm afraid will have to go, I even scared to give it sweetie because of the little sharp bones.. I hate waste, and it upsets me! But I have to laugh about it, darn it! I really wanted that chicken and rice!

Marcie said...

I'm glad you posted. You were quiet on line yesterday, so I figured you were getting a lot of rest. Just keep resting as long as you need too, and we'll keep praying and thinking positive healing thoughts.

hugs,
Aisling

Robbin said...

Thanks Aisling, I think I'm on the mend for this round now. The story is your cells will reach a low point and then start back reproducing and then I'll start the process already. But even with these last few days I am still so grateful I've not had as bad of a time as it could have been.

Mary said...

I'm sorry yesterday was a rough battle but glad today is looking better. Remember that some battles will be terrible but you WILL win this war. I'm glad to hear that your chemo nurse is right there for you anytime.

Take care, friend, and know that you are in my heart and in my prayers.

Robbin said...

Thank you Mary, like I said before this is not for sissies! It's so nice to have you there, and everybody else here, keeps me good and strong.

Memaw's memories said...

I feel like such a weeney when I complain about my aches and pains when you are going through so much. And you have such a great attitude. Sleep may be the best medication, but attitude rates way up there too.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers, and when I start to complain, I'm going to think about your strength and wish I were as strong as you.

Get the rest you need. And help those little soldiers multiply like rabbits.

Robbin said...

Well, Shirley, I believe you've got that same strength based on your own medical challenges in the past, so don't short change yourself. This Chemo Stuff is tough for sure, and it's probably going to get a lot tougher but with your thoughts and prayers with me and all the support I've got, it ain't gonna whip me!

Tammy Brierly said...

Sleep is a wonderful healer Robbin so go with it. Eat your kidney beans and have mom send over a meal. You have to eat so you can stay strong.

Let me fluff that pillow, find your book and I'll raise your feet. "Sweetie" sit here by mom...there! Cosy?

HUG

Robbin said...

Thanks Tammy, me, Miss Independent would love to have someone to do all those things. But on the same note when I don't feel good, I like to be alone! I'm eating, I had cottage cheese and some fruit that went down good. And there's always peanut butter on Wasa crackers.

L'Adelaide said...

it's me again :)
how wonderful to be able to sleep that way...I have a terrible problem with sleep in that I don't get much, not nearly enough...you need all the rest you can get so keep on taking those naps. The body heals while asleep. And drink the water too, that kidney thingy sounds like it could get nasty. I am glad you are on an anti-biotic for those things...do you have to be on one for the whole time you have chemo?

sweet dreams :)

Robbin said...

Hey YOU again, I love to see you again everyday. I was blessed to sleep yesterday, my body just did that on its own thank goodness. From what I understand in the middle of each cycle that is when my blood cells (the white ones) will be at their lowest point and at that time I'll start a round of antibiotics or if they are REAL low, I may have to take shot that makes them super reproduce fast. ALso during these times I will feel the worse. I think the kidney thing was starting up just before they discovered how low my blood count was, so the timing was pretty good.