Tuesday, July 22, 2008

MY White Blood Cells Under Attack



These are white blood cells. Usually about midway through your chemo treatment they reach their lowest count. And so mine are low at the moment. Not so low that I had to have that super duper shot that builds them back fast, but low enough where I'm under house arrest. No crowds, no stores, nowhere around kids.. I am a sitting duck for an infection. The Dr. has ordered an antibiotic to ward off anything that maybe starting up. I have strict orders to call my medical team day or night if my temp goes over 100 degrees, if I get chills, a sore throat, a cough. This is all normal, they assure me, and by next week they should be build themselves up again, those white blood cells and then you start all over again.

Also, during this time people seem to get weaker and depressed. Explains my tears yesterday perhaps and my very down in the dumps feeling today, but not to worry. It's happening just as it is suppose to, and hopefully it has already killed the right cells that are the evil cancer, or at least it is working on them.

So, not much pizazz today, but I'm ok. So very grateful I've done as well as I have and this is all part of it. If my cells weren't low that would mean the chemo isn't doing what it is meant to do.

And that's my report. I'm going to settle down with my new book, drink some hot tea, and be a good girl.

9 comments:

Memaw's memories said...

So for a while, you get to be a lady of leisure. Take it easy. Nap often, and read. A few bon bon's would probly be nice too.

Robbin said...

yes mam, I'll try my best. Thanks Shirley for all your encouragment. It keeps me going..

Marcie said...

I'm thinking good thoughts in your direction. Hope they find you comfortable and "recharging."

xoxo,
Aisling

Tammy Brierly said...

Keep visualizing the cancer being eaten away like the old Pac-Man. House arrest gives you too much time to think so try and keep your mind busy. I'll be thinking about you!

L'Adelaide said...

well, hoping you don't have to have that shot! sounds like you are right on target in your symptoms so that must be a good sign!

eat ice cream, nap, do whatever to take your mind off this if you so desire, stay out of the heat, what about an antidepressant? don't know how you feel about those but....

thinking of you ((((()))))

Robbin said...

Thank you Aisling, I'm happy to accept your good vibes.
Ok, now Tammy, I can see pac man eating away, that's a good image, gobble gobble all cancer cells!
And Linda, I'm taking your advice and just taking it easy. I have some Xanax that I had left over from when Jonathan died, and they help keep me calm.
I'm fine, just like it is suppose to be doing, if the white cells werent low, it would mean Chemo wasn't doing what it is suppose to be doing.
Love you guys!

Marge said...

I'm so glad the chemo is doing what it's supposed to be doing. That means success! So just sit back, relax, read your new book, eat and drink what and when you feel like it, and generally just act like a queen. Because you are the queen! And we are your loyal subjects, reporting back to you on your every command!

Hope your evening is peaceful, and your sleep tonight restful. Enjoy your tea and your book and know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,
Marge

Mary said...

It's late here but I'm thinking of you. This was bound to happen and you did expect it but the reality is still shocking. I wish I could just sit with you and make it better. Even if it were possible on most levels I'm not a good person to be near. I'm constantly covered with kid germs and no telling what else.

I didn't have time to post today but I've been thinking of you and you were a large part of my prayers tonight.

Robbin said...

Mary, it was nice to wake up to find your sweet message. It did kind of sting me, I guess I thought my blood count would hold up but of course that is not suppose to happen. And yep, its scary knowing I'm unprotected for a little while. Thank you so much for your prayers, keep'em coming!