Thursday, June 05, 2008

Can we talk about.........radishes?


Ok, bear with me here, and if you are not interested in the least about radishes, please feel free to click right to somewhere else but I really need to talk about these odd little root vegetables for a minute. Reason number one is, I really am looking for diversions and number 2 is....well it's an odd little thing that I've never given much thought to.
This all came about because someone gave me a bag of vegetables from her garden, a cucumber, bell peppers, a few squash and a little bag of radishes. When I was little I remember not wanting them on my salad because they were hot to me. And I guess I don't remember ever buying radishes, which is weird since I love salad so much and they are really good to me in salads now. Out of curiosity and because, like I said, I need to take my mind to other places, I looked up the radish and found some interesting things.
According to this site the radish is the root of a plant closely related to the mustard plant. They are a great source of vitamin C and other minerals. You can add radishes to vegetable drinks to add spice. In this form they can help clear sinuses and soothe a sore throat.
And because of their flavor they can bring out interesting flavors in other foods. WHO knew?

6 comments:

Marcie said...

Robbin, I'm sorry I didn't comment on your "Worry" post yesterday. Everytime I tried to access your blog, it would start to come up and then an error screen would appear! Today, everything comes up just fine!

So, on to business, I'm a radish fan myself. I always interplant radishes and carrots in the same space in my garden. The radishes come up quickly and as you pull them, it makes way for the slower-to-germinate carrots. I have nibbled a couple straight from the garden already this year, with many more to come! BTW, I've only actually purchased them at the store once or twice ever, but grow them in my veggie garden each year.

Robbin said...

My blog did the same thing to me yesterday and it almost drove me nuts and then I had a feeling it was something to do with one of the gadget things I have from Kraft Foods recipe of the day so I deleted it and that fixed it.
And radishes are delicious straight from the garden, so spicy and earthy. I ate one like that last night too.

Robbin said...

Oh, and one thing Aisling, the Dr. said I am all healed up inside, no stitches left at all. I still have not much energy but she said grief has slowed that down but I'll build it back up. And I have some back pain from time to time, but normal because of the stomach muscles being weak and my back has been taking all the pressure. She said that will improve also. So that was good.

Robbin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chellie said...

I kept getting that error message too and I thought it was on my end. I'm glad it's fixed and I'm back topost!

Robbin said...

CHellie, I'm glad you are too.