Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The painting above is another Thomas Kinkade painting called "End of a Perfect Day".
And I had about as close to a perfect day as one person could ask for.

After conference call this morning my boss called and we talked for a long time, she's known for quite some time that I was thinking of moving to Washington and it is of no surprise to her that I've made the decision to do that after whatever treatment I have to have for the cancer is completed.

One of the reasons I debated and debated for over a year now to make the decision had to do with my job. I've worked for the same company for going on 14 years now and I like the company and the thought of trying to find another job and starting over somewhere was scary to me. But today she made me feel so good, she said she'd help me with a transfer and there are lots of stores up that way, and we'd get me somewhere. She told me I was a valued employee and that there would always be a place for me someplace. So I can't tell you how good that made me feel.

And then, well, there was that one little thing about me being late for work. I was looking at a clock on the wall that I knew was losing time, it needs a new battery but I had forgotten that and turns out it was an hour behind. Good thing I'm the manager or I wouldn't have bought that reason and would have gotten in trouble, but I hurried up and ended up being only thirty minutes late. But as I pulled out of my yard onto the dirt drive to the main road, there stood the most beautiful Doe I've ever seen. She stood there long enough for me to get a good look at her and she at me and then very calmly just walked into the woods. She was the most beautiful color.

After I got on the paved road I saw something in the middle of the road, now remember this is around noon and it was sunny. It was a huge Owl. I had to stop and look at him, and I wondered what in the world he was doing out in the bright sunlight. He flew off after a little while , and I thought, "goodness", people pay good money to see the creatures I've just seen .

Work was pleasant. We got a lot done and we laughed a lot and we had a good sales day.
I closed and there is sometimes not a lot of customers that come in during that last hour but tonight I was visited by the sweetest, purest of heart fellow human being I've ever known. She is a lovely lady, in her late 70's, regal with pecan colored skin, very tall and just as beautiful as she can be. She's always been a favorite of ours and she's very spiritual and it comes from so deep in her soul, I heard myself telling her of the things I've faced in the last two months. You should have heard the words she said to me, and the comfort she brought me is such that I felt blessed by an angel when she left me. We call her "Ms. Essie".

When I got home, our family had received a card from our neighbors, telling us that a donation for a church here in town had been made in Loving memory of Jonathan. It was a church building fund where he and Matthew had gone to Bible School and it was so sweet and I am so grateful and touched.

On the way home the full moon was rising and it was pink, baby pink. I watched it all the way home, it was beautiful and by the time I got home it had turned orange and was the brightest I've ever remembered it being.

And so that was my Perfect Day.
It may not sound all that exciting or amazing but it is the best day I've had for sometime now.
And for the cherry on top, I feel soooo much better physically than I have in so long.

When you look for beauty and blessings you can find them and then sometimes they just come to you. And today they just came. And for that I am thankful.

10 comments:

Chellie said...

I'm glad your day went so well. I received your card in the mail. It was so wonderful to see your handwriting. Thanks for sending that to me.

I hope your day tomorrow is even better.

amy said...

I can't believe you saw an owl in the middle of the road in the middle of the day! That is too cool. I'm glad it happened to somebody who would stop and appreciate the moment!

Robbin said...

Chellie, I know what you mean about seeing my handwriting, I felt the same when I saw yours.

Robbin said...

I wish you could have seen him, he was amazing! I guess he was a little mixed up. He had insomnia. Up all day, couldn't sleep a wink!

Marcie said...

Robbin, I just loved reading the story of your day. I'll bet you Ms. Essie has an amazing life story. I could just feel her wisdom and her loving spirit as I read what you wrote about her. Little encounters like that... human connections... are so important. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.

Marge said...

Maybe your day wasn't exciting or amazing, but it was full of the beauty and blessings that you spoke about. And we can find something even on the worst days that we can be thankful for. I'm so glad you are feeling much better physically. Continue to take care of yourself so if you do need additional treatments, you will be healthy and thus more able to tolerate the treatments.

I'm sure you will be able to find beauty and blessings today, too. I found a wonderful blessing.....a note from you on my last blog. Thank you so much. I have a whole cedar chest full of blessings from my new friend! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Marge

Robbin said...

Marge, thank you for understanding me, and for your always beautiful comments. I might not can stand beside you physically during this time but please know I'm there, you are in my heart, constantly.

Robbin said...

Aisling, I wish you could know her, and I'm glad you were able to understand a little from how I described her. Her touch of my hand, her words to my heart warmed me from head to toe. Yep, she is an angel, I'm sure of it.
Thank YOU for listening to me. You know I love ya, and am so thankful for you in my life.

MrsClare08 said...

You write so beautifully! I love reading your blog. No matter what you write about it makes me feel so good. I think about you every day and hope you're doing well. All my love...

Robbin said...

Sara! Thank you, coming from a writer such as yourself, I take that as a compliment. And I'm glad I make you feel good. I'm doing ok, hanging in there with a lot of help from my friends.