Thursday, June 26, 2008

Quote of the Day

My Inspirational quote that I get each day via e-mail, was this:


Today's Inspirational Quote:"When I hear somebody say, Life is hard, I am always tempted to
ask, Compared to what?"-- Sydney J. Harris

I found this one interesting and thought of it for a bit. Life is all we have here on this earth so what do we compare it to? As far as know right now, we are all given one life, at least here on earth. Is our life planned out in advance, or just how much control do we have? If we'd done anything differently, would we still have ended up just where we are now? Would it make a difference? Do we compare how hard life is to us personally based on other people's lives? Do any of us escape the hardships of life? I think not.

Life for me is hard right now, and I'm comparing it to other times when I wasn't touched so personally by death, suicide, cancer and all the fears that go along with those things. So now, life is hard at this moment, compared to the other parts of my life but the thing about life is that each day brings a new beginning. And I do have a choice of course. I can feel sorry for myself, hide under the covers, think my life is over and will myself to stop living. But each day is a new day and sometimes things happen you never would have expected. Life is magic, full of unexpectful events, some wonderful, some tragic and lots of little things inbetween. Life is constantly changing, you just never know what to expect. Life tests your character, and your strength, life rewards you with unexpected gifts, it gives and takes. Sometimes it seems like it takes more than it gives but mostly it gives. It gives us the chance to see what we are made of, it gives us a chance to fail and succeed , it gives us a chance to reach out and help someone else. It throws things at us to gain wisdom and insight so that we are better equiped to handle other things. Life is all we have, to make of it as much as we can. When life is hard for us, we look around and see someone who is going through so much more. So we compare our hardships to those of others and while we are strong we are able to help those others. There comes a time when those people come to your aide. Life is hard but compared to what?

Life is a gift, and yes, it is hard sometimes if compared to the only other things we have to compare it to , which is the past or to your neighbor's life.

Life is also wonderful, compared to what? Compared to all the hard times we have and survived. Life is full of unexplainable miracles, life is full of heartache and many tears, but mostly Life is what all we have in common, sharing it with all that grows around us. Life is forever changing and I'm just too curious to know what it brings next to dwell on the hard things. I'm learning just how life hard can be, but there is nothing to compare it to at this point, we'll know one day.

So Sidney J. Harris, we compare Life to Life. Ever Changing Life. DAH!

6 comments:

Memaw's memories said...

The Bible tells us that life is short and filled with trouble. It is a vapor that appears for a little while and then fades.

I too think everyone is touched by troubles. If you see someone who has a 'perfect life', you need to look deeper.

I think you are doing a great job of working through all your issues. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Just think, you'll be Superwoman one of these days.

Tammy Brierly said...

Life is a great adventure and without the lows where would we find the highs.

HUUGS

MrsClare08 said...

I like this one. I dwell on other peoples lives A LOT, forgetting how good I have it sometimes. I don't have a perfect life, I don't expect to ever have a perfect life. But I have a good life. I go through hard times like others too, but each of us are strong in our own way! Your strengths in your life will bring you through whatever you need it to! "God doesn't give you more than you can handle!" :)

Robbin said...

Thanks Shirley, I'm fighting hard every day, where I'm headed who knows? But I ain't going without a fight! I'm stubborn like that.

Robbin said...

Tammy, is the highs are measure for measure against the lows, I'm in a for BIG high. I'm ready.

Robbin said...

Sara, strength is a funny thing, you never really know how strong you are until you have to pull it out from the deepest part of your soul. Somedays its there for me,, somedays it's not but I am taking it one day at a time. So far, so good.